Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Canning

As I mentioned before our garden was a huge success this year. So that meant a lot of Canning for me. I actually really like doing it so it's not that big a deal. So everything we can't eat fresh we can or freeze. I really can't remember everything I made this years so here is an overview. Canning season for me starts in June with the arrival of our strawberries. What aren't eaten are made into freezer jam and strawberry rhubarb jam. Then the season starts to work through all the berries strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Mostly made into jams or syrups and some blueberry pie filling (which is sooo good!). In July I start working on the vegetables mostly green beans and carrots, I freeze our beets and peas. I also made a ton of cucumber relish. This year I ventured into soups tomato and carrot fennel. Then I start on the tomatoes and with 9 tomato plants this year I had a lot! I mostly made salsa and spaghetti sauce. I even was able to make green salsa this year with our Tomitillos. Our potatoes we just leave in the garage in a box and all of our squash and pumpkins I cook and freeze the pulp I also freeze a lot of shredded zucchini. August comes bringing peaches and pears. I didn't do a lot of peaches this year just made some pie filling. Our Asian pear tree had tons of fruit this year so I canned some of them. (hopefully there good) So the season finally ends in October with apples, lots of pie filling and applesauce. It's a lot of hard work and I do like but I wasn't sad to put my canning supplies away for the season. So until next year good riddance!




No comments:

Post a Comment