Friday, December 20, 2013

Gingerbread (Cinnamon) Rolls

(Take a deep breath I think I only give you one comma) I know this is not the blog that I share this stuff on, but since I don’t blog on that other blog anymore and I HAVE to write this down before I forget how I made these I figured it was a good a place as any.

I use to make bread a lot, I mean a lot, a lot.  I loved to experiment and try new things and flavors and I had a ton of fun doing it.  Plus I’m pretty sure my family had a ton of fun eating it.  But when Xander got sick and passed away I stopped doing all those little things I use to love to do (like making bread).  All the things that made me, me were just gone.  They just weren’t in me anymore.  I am still not that person, I doubt I will ever totally be that person again, but that’s okay it’s truly not something I care about or even think about often.   Why the sad tale? Well this Christmas before I decided to get terribly sick I invented my very favorite bread recipe ever!  And while I was making them and after they turned out so yummy, I caught a glimpse of that bread making person in me and how much I use to love it, it was kind of exciting to think she still lives in there somewhere. So here it is my favorite roll recipe ever, Cam’s is still the lime rolls I made up a couple of years ago but he says these are a close second. I just wish I would have measured the ingredients this is a good guess of what I did.

For the Bread

2 cups of warm water

2 TBS yeast

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup molasses

1/2 cup butter mostly melted

1 egg

scant 1 TBS salt

2 –3 tsp. cinnamon

1-2 tsp. ginger

1/2-1 tsp. nutmeg

1/4-1/2 tsp. cloves

2 TBS of cocoa powder

2/3 cup dry milk

6ish cups flour (maybe more; just add it until it looks like a nice bread dough, not to stiff but not to sticky either)  

mix for 2 minutes or knead by had for 10 let rise until double.

roll out into a rectangle and spread 1 cube soften butter all over dough fill with

FOR THE FILLING

I happened to have some gingerbread cookie mix so I lightly sprinkled over the butter with that first,  I actually think it made a huge difference so if you have it use it, if you don’t it’s up to you if you want to buy/ make some.  Then I added

1 cup of brown sugar mixed with 1 TBS cinnamon, 1-2 tsp. ginger, 1 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4-1/2 tsp. cloves.

Roll cut and put 12 to a pan set you oven rack to below the middle of the over and bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes.  let sit a few minutes before glazing maybe 5 if you can stand it.

Drizzle with ginger cinnamon glaze

1/4 cup butter

1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar

add cinnamon and ginger to taste

then thin with a dairy product of your choice I used heavy whipping cream because I had some randomly.

 

I wish I had a picture they were so, so heavenly.  ENJOY!! TOMORROW I’M GOING TO EXPERIMENT WITH EGGNOG ROLLS! I’m very excited, which is kind of exciting in itself! 

1 comment:

  1. Love this!!!! I remember the first time I felt a bit of the "old me". I was doing Zumba. It is an amazing feeling. Keep making those rolls! Wish we lived close enough to sample some :)

    ReplyDelete